Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Memoirs of a Child’s Life


Memoirs of a Child’s Life

Br. Lennen E. Deciar, SSS

Are you familiar with this song? “All my life, without the doubt I gave you, all my life. Now and forever till the day I die, you and I will share…” Sometimes, we take life for granted. But when life’s wake-up call hits us, it leads us to a significant moment in our lives; a moment which might be far from our imagination and expectation.

Life is full of surprises, isn’t it? Life offers us many avenues to learn. It brings surprises on the crossroads of our journey. But how can we fathom the depth of life? What is it all about? Is it a problem to be solved or a mystery to be lived? I am sure, you have your own series of questions as well.

Let me tell you a short story of a young-boy which I knew way back in my college years at Saint Paul University in Dumaguete City. He was athletic young-boy who loves to play ball games. It is really his passion to play any sports, especially basketball and swimming. But one event in his life had turned into a big discomfort. One morning, he experienced the biggest surprise of his life. It was in an excruciating abdominal pain that became unbearable. “God, please help me! I need you! Please, heal me Lord!” This was the prayer which he devotedly prayed at that terrible moment. The young-boy suffered to the full. He had a high fever, vomited and he had lost his appetite. But thanks be to God his mother lovingly took care of him. She was the source of his strength and his comfort. His mother attended all his needs. But, she couldn’t watch her child suffering. Instantly, they rushed him to the hospital for consultation. And there, they found out that he was positive of appendectomy infection and had to be operated as soon as possible.

Yes! Life is full of surprises, though sometimes it makes you downhearted. The doctor advised the family to have a quick operation the soonest possible time. The young-boy asked the doctor for how much the cost will be of his operation. When he heard about the amount, he was perplexed and nearly lost his hope. He said to his mother, “Mom, it’s alright, you don’t need to worry. I could let go of myself.” And he also told the doctor, “Doc, we don’t have that amount for this emergency, I’m so sorry.”

Life is really precious. God really knows what we need. And the twist of fate had occurred; the young-boy had his second life, a second chance. We can never underestimate the grace of God. Thank you Lord! This young-boy is still alive until today and at this very moment, he is sharing with you one of the most meaningful chapter of his life. Proudly, this young-boy I am referring to is me.

Life is indeed a matter of faith. Just hold on to it, keep it and wait for the miracles to happen. Henri Nouwen in his book entitled “Finding my way Home”, said: “a waiting person is someone who is present to the moment, believing that this moment is the moment.” Life is a precious thing. Take life not by mere chances but an opportunity to find the true meaning of living. This is my life. This is my story. With a peaceful smile on my face, I can humbly say that life is truly a gift – a beautiful gift of God with its stories which are meant to be told and retold, now and hereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment